Monday, January 26, 2009

Meet Tricia!

Here's Tricia Mulhern from Spruce Clothing- our newest member!

Tricia writes "Taking a sewing class in high school got me hooked! I immediately started experimenting, taking apart old clothing, making something new, and loving it! A few years later I found myself in Victoria B.C where there were a few local markets that were perfect for testing the market, so on my days off from my day job I sewed in my living room to build up stock. I began successfully selling my clothing every weekend.

At the time I did not own a car, so I took an old lady cart, extended the handles and packed up my entire booth in it for the 20 minute walk to the market. People were always amazed at how I was able to get my entire booth - tent and merchandise all into this little cart! What a girl will do to get her business going:)

After about a year, I decided I wanted to learn more about making patterns and sewing, so I enrolled at George Brown and moved back to Ontario. After graduating from design school, I decided I was not yet done with my education and pursued a degree in women's studies.

All the while in school I continued selling my clothing during the summer months at the Hillside and Mariposa folk festivals.

Over the years I have sewn and set up shop just about everywhere! I have taken over numerous communal living spaces as my sewing empire grew and grew...I even sewed for an entire summer in a friend's garage!

I am now working on my business full-time and have an actual studio space on Queen St. West that I share with 3 other fun, creative people.

I named my business after my Grandmother's last name - because she had a big influence on my life and was really into fashion. She is the woman featured on the front page of my website www.spruceclothing.com.

I live in High Park with my husband Peter and I love riding my bike, indie music, cooking and makin' stuff."

No comments:

Post a Comment