Friday, March 12, 2010

Meet Mandy of Mandala Design


I think I’ve always been interested in fashion. As a kid, I remember having very strong opinions about what I would and wouldn’t wear. In high school, I taught myself how to sew on my Grandmother’s sewing machine. Thinking back, some of the outfits I created were probably a little silly, but they were unique and that seemed most important at the time. My Dad encouraged me to pursue fashion in college and I founded Mandala Design in 1991, after graduating from Sheridan’s Fashion Design program. I ran Mandala part time, in addition to working in the fashion industry, until 2005, when I took the leap to focus all my energy on designing. I design two seasons each year and spend a great deal of time getting the fit right. Most of my clothing is able to transition from a casual working environment to dinner to the weekend. I am inspired by classic styles and simple lines with a bit of whimsy thrown in. I use unexpected details, interesting fabrics and vintage touches to make my clothing stand out from the many options available today. Being unique never goes out of style!

No comments:

Post a Comment