Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Meet Stefany of Whirl Girl!



I've been hooked on sewing ever since my mom taught me how to use a sewing machine so I could make a series of skirts for my high school art show. Ever since, I have had a passion for creating unique clothing using vintage/ recycled materials and eco-progressive fabrics. Last winter (2008) I couldn’t resist buying a cute bomber winter coat. The coat was great, but from the waist down I was freezing in the face of winter. Because of this I was inspired to create a warm winterized wrap around skirt that could be worn like a jacket, but for your lower half. Sewing had always been a hobby of mine, and I would often make skirts and other fun things for myself and my friends. When I started wearing my warm wrap skirt around Toronto I was amazed at how many people (total strangers) would stop to ask me about my warm skirt. I loved mine so much and wanted to wear it everyday (and still do) - that I though 'hey, maybe I'm onto something here.'

I do a lot of walking, biking and waiting for the streetcar to get around town and also recently adopted a cute rescue pup named 'the dude' - so I spend a lot of time outside - and when it's cold out I love being able to 'whirl' into one of my skirts, it always makes the weather seem just a wee bit warmer. I also love to hike, canoe trip and travel, and know how essential versatile, quick-dry clothing is when you're living out of a backpack.

I've expanded my line to include hand dyed hooded jackets (like the one I'm wearing in the picture), scarves, tops, and have a new wrap skirt in the works for this winter so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment